McHenry County’s Manufacturing Base is a Vital Component of our Economy
Our Manufacturing sector is responsible for 23% of our GRP or $2.2 Billion and employs 13% of our workforce or 16, 269. It is the largest of our 20 economic sectors in McHenry County.
In recognition of the significant impact manufacturing has on primary jobs, McHenry County EDC continues to provide focus and initiatives to support the manufacturing community.
Some 2010 data indicates the following:
- 11% of Illinois' electrical equipment manufacturing and 50% of the state's surgical equipment manufacturing is in McHenry County.
- More than 1600 jobs are currently provided by printing companies locally among 51 different businesses which is 4.5 times the national average for a market of similar size.
- There are more than 2500 jobs among 55 employers in plastic products manufacturing with a concentration more than 7 times the average for a similarly sized market nationally.
Through the efforts of McHenry County EDC and in partnership with McHenry County College and Illinois Congressman Don Manzullo, a virtual Business Accelerator for Innovation and Collaboration (BAIC) was established to focus on the needs of over 600 manufacturers in McHenry County and provide business & technical assistance free of charge. This program, in effect from 2006 to 2009, was very successful touching almost all of the 600 manufacturers in the county and providing a wide variety of assistance and financial support
McHenry County Manufacturing Subcluster 2000 – 2009
600 manufacturers and 19,000 manufacturing jobs
EDC has many strategic partners which can provide assistance to the manufacturing community including:
- US Small Business Administration
- McHenry County College & the Shah Center for Corporate Training
- Illinois Small Business Development Center at MCC
- Northern Illinois University Outreach
- Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Development
- IMEC (Illinois Manufacturing Extension Center)
- Chicago Metro Metal Consortium
Financial assistance is available through the McHenry County Loan Fund. For information regarding the program, please contact our office or visit the following link.
Please visit the Illinois Manufacturing.net Directory to view the local manufacturer's directory as well as the McHenry County Manufacturing Network's Linked-In Group.